Saturday, January 24, 2009

Something is not quite right..........

My sweet little boy did not start walking until well after he turned 1 year old. I noticed all the other children in our social groups were walking long before my son. But let me tell you when he did start walking, he took off running. I thought for sure he would be a soccer star one day, except for the fact that he had two left feet. But that is another story. My son also was a late talker. However, when he did decide to grace me with his speech, not only did he talk but he could read! Constantly on my boy was, as if someone had installed a battery pack in him.

All sorts of concerns raced through my head. That something was not quite right. We all have those worries and concerns about our children from the day they are conceived and growing in our bellies. Will they be okay? Will they have all their fingers and toes? Thankfully, my son has all of his body parts in working order, well pretty much everything. My son has ADHD and his brain runs a little funny sometimes. While ADHD is not the end all be all, there are worse things. It most certainly is a challenge!

I am a single mom to my darling 6 year old son. My son is actually what they call "Twice Exceptional". My son has ADHD and is also blessed with a very high IQ. This presents another challenge because he is functioning on a higher level than most children of the same age educationally, but he is really lagging emotional. So basically he is really smart, but really immature and lacking social skills. I choose not to medicate my son, however I have not completely ruled it out in the future. But for now we are happy with what we are doing to help him. Which is behavior modification, healthy eating and natural supplements.

The purpose of my blog (at least for now) if to connect with other moms who have children with ADHD. To share and compare what works and what doesn't and sometimes just to vent. So sit back, enjoy, respond but most of all welcome to my new blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment